Friday, November 11, 2005

 

Do you read enough?

I'm just not sure it's possible to read enough.

Sure, it's very easy to get lost in the daily shuffle, get too busy with work and home, and leave behind your standard reading material. I, like many people, occasionally lapse into a very-busy, prioritization mindset where the work in front of me - the piles of work that will go long into the night- are more important than reading.

Short-term, I'm probably right. Long-term, I'm definitely wrong.

And every time I pick up a magazine, flip through a Web site, or catch up on a blog I previously found interesting, I remind myself why reading is so, so important.

As marketers, heck as businesspeople, we need to be constantly learning. Constantly reinventing how we do business. Constantly questioning the way we do business today and tomorrow.

When I force myself to stop what I'm doing for a moment and read something, I almost always get ideas. Ideas for how to improve my job, my company, my life. Sometimes the ideas are for me, sometimes they get shot off to others. But I am robbing myself of personal and professional development if I stop reading, even for a day.

Are you reading?

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?